A course for white people committed to social justice to:
honour our ancestors as complex human beings;
begin to engage honestly with our personal inheritance of racism, white supremacy and colonialism;
develop a personal practice based in who and where we are.
Through this course you will:
- Engage with the life and story of a single ancestor.
- Research their life and learn about their context, including their place within systems of historical racism, white supremacy and colonialism, also acknowledging other systems of oppression.
- Track how your ancestor’s story changes as you find out more about them over time, and from different sources.
- Tell different versions of your ancestor’s story, and make space for all aspects of their life and choices.
- Begin healing and integration in relation to what you uncover, through altar time, journalling, storytelling, and ritual.
- Reflect on your own place within the systems of racism, white supremacy and colonialism.
- Make decisions and commitments about where you will go next, with both the inner and outer work of tackling those systems.
The course is led by me, Elinor Predota.
I’m a mentor to radical change-makers. I have a long and wide-ranging background in activism, community development, spiritual counselling, ritual work, and both formal and informal education. My work centres around the magic of creativity, of relating across difference, and of becoming alive to all that is present within and without us, here and now.
I’m also a storyteller. Part of my storytelling practice focuses on the life stories of my ancestors (who are English, Welsh, Scottish, and Polish), bringing them to life through traditional telling, and mobilising them for awareness raising and reflection on this point in history, and the ways in which big, historical processes intersect and mesh in small, individual lives. I have a personal commitment to honouring my ancestors, without ever blinding myself to their flaws, or to their implication in systems of injustice.
I believe that, as white people committed to social justice, we can take responsibility for our part in righting the wrongs of history, and we can reconnect with our roots to form an honest identity, connected to our ancestors, with both humility and pride, in a deeply grounded way.
I offer this course as one way to do that work.
- 15 live sessions over Zoom:
- 7 classes.
- 7 practice/Q&A sessions.
- 1 closing ritual.
- Audio recordings and transcripts of all classes.
- Audio recordings of all practice sessions and the closing ritual.
- Community support and accountability via a dedicated online space.
- Access to optional extras:
- During the course, one to one support from Elinor at reduced rate (£50 / £75 / £100 sliding scale per session).
- After the course, ongoing community support and accountability (£6 / £12 / £18 sliding scale per month).
- The maximum number of participants is 16.
- The course will run from 1st August – 7th November, 2018.
- Live events will run on Wednesdays, at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm GMT, over Zoom.
- The ritual will be audio only.
- The community space will be hosted through Mighty Networks.
ROOTED is for you if you are:
- looking for ways to resource yourself to fight racism, white supremacy and colonialism
- interested in developing a non-appropriative personal practice
- feel a desire to connect with your ancestors
- willing to turn towards and be with emotional discomfort, in yourself and others
- have some understanding:
- of what white privilege means
- that oppression is systemic
ROOTED is not for you if you are:
- looking for someone else to tell you how not to be racist
- interested in researching your ancestors, but not in ending white supremacy
- want to do the inner work of healing and integration, but not the outer work of taking action in the world
- unable to turn towards and tolerate emotional discomfort, in yourself or others
- are staunch in your belief that:
- racism is just about individual choices and morality
- white privilege doesn’t exist
The cost for the course is on a sliding scale with three payment levels of £360 / £480 / £600 .
Payment can also be made in four equal instalments of £90 / £120 / £150.
How does the sliding scale work?
You simply decide which of the following applies to you, and pay accordingly:
- I am typically able to meet all my core needs of and those of my dependents. I am able to spend money on non-essentials with a bit of re-budgeting. If this is you, pay £360 (or 4 x £90).
- I can comfortably meet my needs and those of my dependents. I comfortably spend on non-essentials on a regular basis. If this is you, pay £480 (or 4 x £120).
- I can meet my needs and those of my dependents with plenty to spare. I own assets, have savings, or investments. If this is you, pay £600 (or 4 x £150). I also invite you to consider sponsoring a spot for someone who is in financial need.
- I am consistently at risk of not meeting my basic needs and those of my dependents, or I experience frequent disruptions to my financial stability. If either of these is you, please get in touch, and we can discuss possibilities for funding your spot.
Cancellations and refunds
Before the course starts, you have 14 days from your purchase to cancel if you change your mind. Once the course has started, no cancellations or refunds are available, except in exceptional circumstances. In all cases, 10% of your course fee is a non-refundable deposit, so please check in with yourself and make sure this course is for you before purchasing.
How do I book?
Select your payment option below. Once you have paid (in full, or your first of four payments) your place on the course is secured.
Once your transaction is complete, you should be taken to a webpage with all the details and information you need to join the course. If this does not happen, please contact me asap!
Still not sure if ROOTED is for you?
I understand. The meeting point of white people’s anti-racism work, relating with ancestors, and storytelling is not a common topic of conversation.
That’s why I’m offering a free workshop to help you to locate yourself in the fight against racism, white supremacy and colonialism, through looking at your feelings, thoughts, and decisions about racism, white supremacy and colonialism, personal practice, and your ancestors. It’s called:
Date: Wednesday, 25th July, 2018.
Time: 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern / 6pm British time
Running time: 90-120 mins
In the workshop, we will cover:
- where you are right now with regard to:
- racism, white supremacy and colonialism
- personal practice
- your ancestors
- where you want to be with each of those.
- what barriers stand between you and where you want to be.
- what decisions and actions you can take right now to start dismantling those barriers.
I’ll also make space to answer any questions about ROOTED, but this workshop is not just to help you decide if you want to join that course. It’s a stand-alone workshop in its own right, and I invite you to sign up for it even if you have no intention of signing up for ROOTED.
If you’re a white person who is at all interested in resourcing yourself to fight racism, white supremacy and colonialism, please sign up for this free workshop.